Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sweet and Bitter Providence



I love it when things in life overlap. Today it happened to be the book that I am reading and the sermon that I heard at church. The book I am currently reading is, Money, Possessions, and Eternity, by Randy Alcorn, and the sermon was number 15 in a series called “Wise among fools” by my pastor, Bill Oudemolen, from 1 Kings based on the life of Solomon.

An overarching summary of the book would be how money and possessions can be both blessings and curses. God says many times that he will bless us (in tangible and intangible ways), but scripture so frequently shows how both can so easily gain a foothold in our lives and become idols.  …. Now hold that thought.

The sermon this week specifically looked at 1 Kings 11:14-25. The subtitle on this part of the chapter is, “Solomon’s Adversaries.”  Bill talked about how in this section God raises up adversaries against Solomon. It wasn’t a peachy keen make everyone happy sermon. (That is why I like my church, he preaches what scripture says, even if it isn’t the prettiest.) but back to the sermon; He frequently used the phrase, “God’s sweet and bitter providence”…Now hold that thought.

What brought these two together so well for me was the phrase, “God’s sweet and bitter providence.” Do we always trust in God completely? That even in the bitter times of life, trusting that God’s hand is in our life. I try to, but I know I don’t because if I did I would have no worry or stress, and be living out the fruits of the spirit so much more! God gives us the tools that we need, the ‘oh crap’ handles to hold onto through life. He tells us that he is God above; that He knows what he is doing. So trust it. He also tells us that he has known us since before we were born. God knows what we need. Trust it. Think about it…
Adam needed a helper and to be kicked out of the Garden… for his ultimate good and God’s glory.
Moses needed 40 years in the desert… for his ultimate good and for God’s glory.
Daniel needed a night in the lion’s den… For his ultimate good and for God’s glory.
Solomon needed adversaries brought against him… For his ultimate good and for God’s glory.
Paul needed a thorn in his flesh… For his ultimate good and for God’s glory.

Now how do these bring us more ‘good’ and how do they bring God glory?

They give these men something to keep them humble, and to realize that they cannot do it on their own. They are not perfect, and they need to rely on a perfect God above. The situations these men of God find themselves in, helped them realize that they need to fully trust God. They do not know why they are found in these situations, but if you look at the big plan (which clearly we get the privilege of doing many years down the road), that it was all for God’s glory.

Our natural tendencies and culture teach us to rely on our education, experience, reputation, skills, possessions, and so forth to get us out of situations and to remove ‘bad’ from our lives. How can we look at whatever situation we might find ourselves in, and see that God might be allowing you to be in that situation so that you might learn to truly trust and rely on him. That without ‘it’, you might be prideful and trusting in your self and your own skills?

Interesting.

God’s providence can be sweet or bitter… can you live with that? God knows what He is doing, and I don’t. Simple as that.

Hope that made some sense. It's hard to combine in written words the points in a book, a sermon, and the thoughts conjured up by both, then show how they were related. Out of my league. I like numbers.

I hope that was encouraging to you. Lean on the Lord and seek him and praise him no matter the season, valley, or mountain-top you find yourself on. Now I want to read John Piper’s book…(where the phrase “Sweet and Bitter Providence was borrowed from.)

No comments:

Post a Comment